We have a menace in our home. He rules the entire house with his iron fist– his chubby, tiny fist. He’s our pint-sized ball of energy– the Little Monkey. He is in the midst of the tantrums and power struggles and emotional roller coasters of the toddler period. He is fascinated by doors and keys, particularly the remote control for the car. Our original key holder was low enough for him to snatch the keys and play with them. The Mellow Man and I would go to the car and find it unlocked and the sliding doors of the van open. The third time this happened, we decided that it was time to move the key holder up higher. When we did this, we realized that we’d need to resize it. It worked out just fine that way– I wasn’t totally happy with the original product, and Mellow Man thought the green didn’t go in our Red accented Knotty Pine kitchen (as an aside, can one paint knotty pine?) Thus, we decided to have a re-do on this DIY project, and created a new distressed key holder.
We actually need only a little craft paint, wire and 4 new nails for this craft project re-do. We selected a spot up higher, and measured the dimensions for the board based on this new spot. Mellow Man got out his table saw and router to trim the original board to its new dimensions. The new board and key holder was considerably smaller than our original green one:
After the cutting and routing and sanding, it was time to repaint the key holder. I used a bright red paint. It was actually a glossy finish, and took several coats of paint to give the board a solid red coat of paint over the sanded white board.
Once the paint had dried, I used a fine grain sandpaper to distress the key holder. I believe that the grain was 120. (Remember the higher the number, the finer the grain.) The good thing about the sanding is the finish of the paint went from High Gloss to matte, which was more of the look I was going for. I just kept sanding until I was happy with the look.
To attach the key to the board, I positioned the key where I wanted it on the board, and then drilled small holes in strategic spots around the key. Using black craft wire, I threaded the wire through drilled holes in the board, and attached it to the board. The last step involved spray painting 5 cup hooks with black Rust-Oleum spray paint. Five holes were drilled into the base edge of the board in equally spaced positions for the cup hooks.
I am really pleased with the new look of the key holder. It fits much better in our kitchen decor, and it is the perfect size for the higher location. Most importantly, the Little Monkey definitely can’t reach the keys anymore, so I don’t have to worry about the doors of my van being left open without my knowledge.