I’m rather reluctant about sharing this recipe. Part of me thinks that this is a tried and true family recipe– you know the kind that doesn’t get shared with just anyone. I don’t know where this recipe came from. It’s in the cookbook that my grandmother, who is the world’s best cook, wrote for me. She doesn’t attribute it to anyone, but I’m sure she found it somewhere.
This is probably my favorite dinner of all time. This is the dinner the my grandmother makes for me every time I visit her. This is the meal that my mother makes me when I go over for dinner on my birthday. This is my favorite. Now Frog and MM eat it, and seem to like it, but it’s not their favorite.
It is a very simple recipe, and you can either grill or broil the flank steak. I would like to recommend that you marinate the Flank Steak for a minimum of 8 hours. My grandmother’s written recipe says that you only need to marinate it for 2 hours, but she recommends 12 to 24. I agree. The longer it soaks the better!
Violet’s Flank Steak Marinade:
- 1/2 Cup Oil (either Olive or Salad)
- 1/2 Tablespoon Lemon (I generally add a bit more)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 to 1 Teaspoon of Dried Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1 Medium Onion, grated finely
- 1 Tablespoon Ketchup
Mix Marinade ingredients is small bowl (I usually use my pyrex measuring cup after I’ve poured in the oil.) Add marinade under and over flank steak in pan. Allow to marinate for at least 2 hours, but preferably longer, 12-24 hours is tastiest! Prior to cooking on grill or in broiler, score edges of meat and sprinkle generously with paprika. Even if cooked in broiler, one will need to flip meat during cook time to ensure that both sides are browned evenly. Meat is best cooked and served as “medium.”
Leftovers make GREAT sandwiches! Yum!
In other news:
Have you signed up for the fabulous giveaway that is going on until March 24th? It’s for a Silhouette Cameo– I know you want one! Go here now!
Yesterday was St. Patrick’s Day, and I hope no one got pinched. Monkey wore green, and went to watch his first football game that Frog was playing. He was so cute that I had to share one picture of his outfit:
BTW, I know that many bloggers are concerned about the end of Google Reader. If you haven’t subscribed to my feeds already: Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Sharing this Recipe at:
- A Bowl Full of Lemons: One Project At a Time
- Carolyn’s Homework: The Inspiration Board
- Clean and Scentsible: The Creative Spark
- Crafty Confessions: Tuesday Confessional
- DIY Dreamer: From Dream to Reality
- Funky Polka Dot Giraffe: Too Cute Tuesday
- Ginger Snap Crafts: Wow Me Wednesday
- Handy Man, Crafty Woman: Wickedly Awesome Wednesday
- Home Stories A to Z: Tips and Tutorials
- House of Hepworth: Hookin Up with HoH
- The Lady Behind the Curtain: Cast Party Wednesday
- Mom on Timeout: Your Creative Timeout
- My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia: Tuesday Treasures
- Not Just a Housewife: Show Me What Ya Got
- The Real Thing with the Coake Family: Real Family Fun
- The Scoop
- Semi Homemade Mom: Show and Share Wednesday
- Seven Alive: Link It Up Thursday
- Southern Lovely: Show and Share
- Sugar Bee Crafts: Take A Look Tuesday
- Thursday’s Treasures Link Party
- Twelve O Eight: Pretty Things Party
- Winthrop Chronicles: Share It Link Party