I’ve been wanting to make chair cushions for our kitchen table for more than a year now. It hasn’t happened. The Big One is a bit hard on furniture, and our kitchen chairs have caned bottoms, so they need to be treated delicately. I thought chair cushions might give the caning some extra protection. I was going to make them in just the right fabric, and have them go with everything else in our family/great room. Well, needless to say, there hasn’t been much progress towards making them. In November, we were shopping in Ikea to buy some bookshelves for our living rooms. (You can see them on Instagram, if you follow me.) It’s hard not get distracted by all of the fabulous products while you are in that store, and I found some great red chair cushions that were only $3.99 with our Ikea Family card. That was so much cheaper than I’d ever be able to make them for, so I thought that we should just purchase them.
Here’s what the cushions looked like when we got home with them. They look fine, but the tufted points look a little sloppy in the stitching, and I worried that they would be collection points for yucky lint and food.
To personalize them and make them look neater, I decided to spice them up with some covered buttons that were made using the scraps of fabric I saved from our floor pillows. There were 5 tufted areas on each of the pillows, so I knew that I would need to make 20 covered buttons. I believe that I only needed about one square foot of fabric to make all 20 buttons. I picked up the covered button materials at my local Hobby Lobby.
One of the sets of buttons was the kit that included the instructions for making the button, the mold, the template, the front and back of the button cover, and a tool for snapping it in place. I cut out 20 circles of fabric in areas of the pattern that I thought would look nice.
Given that the fabric pattern is kind of big, I didn’t get all of the details of the fabric design in each of the buttons, but I did get an interesting assortment of button colors and options when I was done making all 20 buttons.
Then I just had to sew all of the buttons in place on each of the cushions. This is a really simple sewing job, so if you can sew a button back onto a shirt, you can do this. It probably only took me 10 minutes a cushion to sew on all 5 buttons.
I’m really happy with how the chairs turned out. I think the buttons give the cushions a cleaner look, they look more specifically designed to go with the room, and they are less of a cookie cutter Ikea product!