I went to Michael’s about two weeks ago to look for muslin for our homemade lightbox, and got to browsing the Valentine’s Day section. I found these things called ‘party felt’ that were located in the baking area. I suppose they could be used for trivets or party table decorations. There were a variety of of hot pink and red ones. It reminded me of a project I saw on Pinterest last year. I bought one that read “Love” on it, and picked up some pink flannel at the nearby fabric store– where I also found the muslin I was looking for. I thought that I wouldn’t make a pillow for valentine’s day, as pillows take up a lot of room in storage. Rather, I would make an envelope pillow cover that would fold flat into a storage bin.
Incidentally, I also saw a great tutorial at Frugal Ain’t Cheap about making a pillow cover from one piece of fabric. I’m not sure if I followed it completely, but it was brilliant to think I could make a perfectly even pillow cover with one, yes one, piece of fabric. Here’s what I did, which I believe is close to what was recommended on Frugal Ain’t Cheap:
I need 2/3 of a yard of flannel for the pillow cover. The pillow that I wanted to create a cover for was an 18″x18″ pillow, so I measured the flannel to be 22″ wide, and 32″ long. I hemmed both “folds of the envelope.
After hemming both ends of the “folds,” I folded the ends of the pillow over, so that the length of the pillow was approximately 20″. Then I measured out 20″ wide, slightly wider than the length of the pillow and pinned up the sides of the pillow:
I then trimmed the excess material off of the sides of the pillow and turned it rightside out. I tested the pillow out before attaching the felt “Love,” to make sure that the pillow cover actually worked. I think the backside of the pillow ended up looking pretty good:
Following the directions on the Head and Bond, I used an iron to adhere the Head and Bond on the back side of the felt “Love” shape and using very sharp scissors, I trimmed around the shape. (This was the most challenging part of the entire project!) After the shape was trimmed out of the Head and Bond paper, I positioned the shape where I wanted it to go.
NOTE: This the part where I needed to deviate from the Head and Bond instructions. Felt does not respond well to heat, so I positioned the felt on the pillow cover, and then turned the pillow cover inside out. I ironed the felt onto the pillow cover from the inside of the pillow cover. This protected the felt from melting. It also took a few minutes longer than the directions suggested for the felt to fully attach to the pillow cover.
Here is the end result:
It looks so cute and cheerful on our couch. I like it so much that I might make another one! I guess I had better hurry before Valentine’s Day gets here!